Salisbury University | Salisbury, MD
The addition and renovation of the Salibury University Academic Commons (SUAC) building is being delivered as a Design Build Project. The final program area is 235,000 GSF with 2,435 total study seats (including assembly hall space for 400), satisfying 22% of SU’s FTE students. The facility houses the following:
- The SU
- Nabb Center
- Faculty Center
- Center for Student Achievement
- Math Emporium
- An assembly space for 400
- The Commons Café
The $111.4 million facility will be the largest academic building in SU history, and the home for the sorely needed new library. Completed in mid 2016, the Academic Commons is located on the site of the former Caruthers Hall, built in 1953 to house the campus’ demonstration school.
The Central Atrium that forms the core of the building brings in daylighting to the book stacks along the perimeter and doubles as the grand space for collaboration and group learning. The interior FF&E was designed to be procured from the Maryland Correctional Enterprises as part of the State of Maryland procurement requirements. Roof gardens and use of recycled materials were some of the important features of this building. This building was designed to be certified as LEED Gold.
At the groundbreaking, State Senator Conway, an SU education alumnus, said the construction represented a tribute to the past while looking toward the future. This reconfiguration of University classroom, research and study space will change the campus dynamics. The objectives for the program are to create a new student-centered hub for academic discovery, to enhance Red Square as part of the overall Campus Plan, and to represent the values and mission of Salisbury University.